Lake Geneva: the best family luxury hotels
13 May 2020
What if the next family vacation combines mountains and fresh air? The shores of Lake Geneva is the ideal destination for families, the lake Geneva offers a beautiful range of landscapes and breathtaking views that you can discover thanks to an incredible itinerary. From Geneva to Lausanne, via Evian-Les-Bains and Crozet, let’s discover together this bucolic region that will charm you in a few seconds.
During winter, ski enthusiasts will be able to head for the beautiful ski slopes that adjoin Evian. At just about 15 to 30 minutes away, you will be able to check up authentic and family-friendly resorts such as Bernex, Thollon Les Mémises or Portes du Soleil, the Franco-Swiss estate, which links 12 famous resorts. While the lovers of water sports and sandy beaches will have a break at the shores of the lake, during the fine season, between Evian and Thonon Les Bains or in Lausanne.
Diving, barefoot, water skiing, canoeing or sailing, everyone will be able to indulge themselves in their most passionate activity in the heart of a preserved natural heritage. And why not relive the resort’s atmosphere of the late 19th century and board along with your family aboard one of the turn-of-the-century (Belle Epoque) steamboats with their beautiful paddle wheels? When it comes to your accommodation, Little Guest Hotels Collection has selected some of the most beautiful hotels in the region to checked up with your family.
First step: Geneva
It is in Geneva that we start this bucolic itinerary. Families love it for its exceptional location between the Jura mountains and the Alps. It is from this pleasant and peaceful city that you can admire the majestic Mont-Blanc. Simultaneously cosmopolitan and historical, this romantic town promises long family walk along the Lake Geneva, as well as fruitful cultural visits. If you want to know about the best addresses of Geneva, we recommend that you select some ideas listed in our essential practical guide for family holidays in Geneva.
What to do in Geneva?
You can admire the Gothic architecture and the neoclassical facade of Saint Peter’s Cathedral, wander through Geneva and have a coffee on the lovely Place du Bourg-de-Four. Let yourself be impressed by the famous 140-metre-high « Jet d’eau », discover the surprising Botanical Garden where children will take part in green workshops. Discover the Conservatory right around the corner, sail on the waves of the Lake Geneva, and cycle through the streets of the city. On top of this, there are much more other fun and playful activities!
Which hotel to chose?
A lush park on the shores of Lake Geneva, a timeless lodge with modest luxury, a unique service offer; all these are the ingredients that guarantee a wonderful stay. At La Réserve Genève *****, every moment becomes fun and you and your family will tend to benefit from an intimate environment whose service is as affectionate as it is discreet. Privileged guests all confess to feeling at home here. The House rolls out the red carpet to families while promising them a hectic stay rich in discoveries. The rooms and suites offer ultimate comfort in which beautiful aesthetics remain the watchword. They all possess a singular soul wherein the image expresses itself in complete freedom.
- For the little ones: family and connecting rooms that are specially adorned under the African lodge theme and decorated by playful furniture designed by the company, Design for Kids My Little Room; as well as the kids’ club, La Petite Reserve that entertains those of them from the ages of 6 months to 13 years old, throughout the day.
- For the entire family: a wide range of culinary offers with perfectly adapted menus.
- For Mum and Dad: away from daily life stress, the Nescens Spa offers a real scientific and medical expertise in a refined environment. And when it comes to the gourmet side, the Tsé Fung restaurant offers high-class Chinese cuisine.
Second step: Évian-les-Bains
Located just an hour drive from Geneva, Evian-les-Bains is THE wellness destination par excellence. Commonly called Evian, or the “Pearl of the Lake Geneva”, this small French town is in fact a spa resort nestled at the bottom of the Chablais mountain, in its northern part. Add to this poetic decor, buildings from the Belle Époque period that reinforce the charming and ideal painting. Can you imagine this postcard landscape? Thanks to its perfect location, the city is, unsurprisingly, one of the best ski resorts in France. You will go down the Portes du Soleil slopes before dining in one of the 99 restaurants that the station offers. In summer, its magnificent landscapes are perfect for mountain bike rides, a perfect activity to escape for a while with the family.
What to do in Evian?
Attend a comedy at the neo-classical theatre that comes to life every summer, visit the incredible Town Hall made of wood, silks and marquetry that leave no one indifferent. Be moved by the artistic exhibitions at the Palais Lumière, savour the Evian water from the Cachat spring, revive your body at the Evian Spa, wander in the historic streets and end by the sumptuous marina or visit the summer markets.
Which hotel to chose?
Overlooking Lake Geneva, you will be checking in to one of the most beautiful addresses in the region. In this modern-day palace, you will still be perceiving the sweet fragrance of the French Belle Epoque. Having a subtle alliance of tradition and modernity, the Hôtel Royal Evian ***** puts together the most advanced technologies and contemporary design at the service of its guests. Every detail has been carefully thought out to offer a memorable stay, such as experiential suites that echo the world of music or golf. Be it the large family rooms, panoramic suites on the 6th floor with stunning views of the lake and alpine reliefs or cocooning rooms overlooking the park, everyone will be able to find happiness. Here, everything has been designed for the well-being of families. In this huge hotel resort, there are numerous activities, which adapt well to every family desire.
In this huge property, there is also the Hôtel Ermitage Evian ****. Historic building built at the very beginning of the 20th century, this place perfectly completed its renovation a few years ago, now empowering it to offer all forms of modern comforts to its guests. Just nearby the hotel, you will find a mineral water source that has made the city famous, as well as the Baths from the 19th century. At the heart of a 19-hectare forested private estate, just a few steps from Les Portes du Soleil Resort, this hotel is the ideal place for a relaxing and exciting holiday.
- For the little ones: from 4 months to 13 years old, the Kid’s Resort opens its doors to them, under the loving care of childcare professionals, in the heart of a preserved nature.
- For the entire family: the pleasant brunch that is served on Sundays is a delight for families. On Friday evenings, however, it is the Italian flavours are being highlighted around a friendly buffet. Another must in the cuisine sector is the La bibliothèque Restaurant which offers a cuisine that is as literary as it is gourmet in an original bookish setting.
- For Mum and Dad: the Quatre Terres Spa offers beautiful moments of well-being in a natural and cocooning setting, ideal for reinvigorating oneself. Also, take advantage of a magnificent golf course to practice your swing in an almost unreal setting.
Third step: Lausanne
The time has come to cross the French-Swiss border again and drive back to Lausanne. It will take a good hour drive from Evian-Les-Bains to reach the Olympic capital and its incredible landscapes. On the road, you will come across the sumptuous Montreux Riviera, famous for its jazz festival and its promenade along the lake lined with flowers, sculptures and Mediterranean trees. Little Guest highly recommends you to spend a day here to enjoy this beautiful town where the great Freddie Mercury lived. Time to head back to Lausanne, take your time and follow the sunset that mischievously evaporates among the mountains that reshape the horizon.
What to do in Lausanne?
Losing yourself in one of the many parks of the city such as the Milan Park or the Montbenon Esplanade, hoping to come across small turtles bathing around the Sauvabelin lake, where many animals are hidden. Visit the Espace des Inventions where children will have a great time, let the kids have fun in the Vallée de la Jeunesse or in Jayland (a 900 m² mini amusement park), reliving the spirit of the games from antiquity to the present day at the Olympic Museum, taking a day trip through the hills of the Lavaux. . . there is no shortage of activities in Lausanne!
Which hotel to chose?
Being a blend between history and modernity, Beau-Rivage Palace ***** remains one of the gems of the rich Swiss hotel tradition. In just 10 minutes from the vibrant city centre of Lausanne, you will be able to discover a rejuvenating bubble surrounded by a beautiful garden that opens onto Lake Geneva and its port area. You will be able to discover the atmosphere of the 19th-century water cities, as well as the Mediterranean resort atmosphere. The beautiful renovation of the hotel fancied pastel shades to create a more soothing environment.
- For the little ones: the personalized welcome that is reserved for them all year round with activities suitable to everyone. Be it the treasure hunt, pastry or floral art classes, gardening or role-playing to check out the job of a concierge, everything is done to entertain the little ones, while their parents enjoy the services of the hotel.
- For the entire family: some suites are perfectly suited for them, for example, the duplex suite which has two bedrooms!
- For Mum and Dad: the light-filled Cinq Mondes Spa, guarantees complete serenity. The Watch Lover offer includes a private presentation of items that are put on sale by an expert, as well as access to auction sales. Yoga retreats with a sports and mental coach who offers a bespoke holistic experience.
Fourth step: Crozet
Last hour of driving before ending this rich itinerary full of discoveries. Direction Crozet, a lovely French town where tribes are invited to do walks facing the Mont-Blanc. Located down to the Pays de Gex plain, this small village offers a breathtaking view of the Genevois and the Salève, a mountain in the Pre-Alps. But most of all, the village enjoys an exceptional location in the heart of the Haut-Jura Natural Park. Located just 10 minutes from Geneva, Crozet is the perfect final place to rest peacefully and end the holiday in style.
What to do in Crozet?
Go down the ski slopes of the renowned resort of Les Monts-Jura, walk along the hiking paths to discover the remains of the Château de Rossillon, the chamois of Prafion and of Bévy. Walk in the alleys of Colomby de Gex from where you can see Geneva, ride horses thanks to the many equestrian centres in the surrounding area, practice water skiing for the more adventurous and reconnect with nature by walking in the Haut-Jura Regional Nature Park.
Which hotel to chose?
A symbol of perfect harmony between luxury and nature, Jiva Hill Resort Golf & Spa ***** faces Mont Blanc in the heart of the Haut-Jura Nature Park. There, the priority is attributed to comfort in a beautifully preserved environment. The hotel’s name, which is borrowed from Buddhism, means “living hill” and has become the promise of a total change of scenery. The contemporary atmosphere isn’t short of elegance. There are very few rooms in this luxurious setting, thus offering a great degree of discretion. All available rooms can lodge families in a comfortable and refined space.
- For the little ones: specific treatments have been set up within the spa, to introduce them to art of well-being, from an early age. A spa party can even be organized!
- For the entire family: a wide range of land sports activities (skiing during winter, cycling, running, paintball …), water activities (sailing, wakeboarding, water skiing …) or aerial activities (tree climbing, helicopter excursions…). The three-course Sunday brunch.
- For Mum and Dad: a special moment at the spa whose large glass windows open onto the surrounding nature to succumb to the hotel’s zen spirit. A golf-themed stay to explore the magnificent golf courses. The Tripot, an elegant and regressive gaming hall with a jukebox from the 1950s and a table football from the 1940s.
Catherine, married, Mom of Justine, from Paris