Every year, thousands of families in search of authenticity, the sweetness of life and luxury choose to stay on the peninsula where Zeus, the supreme God of Greek mythology, was born. Bordered by the Aegean Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Libyan Sea, Crete seduces the little holidaymaker in short pants as much as their parents. Head to the Island of Heroes, a must-see destination loved by families. By Little Guest (collection of luxurious hotels)
1 – Passport
- Capital city: Héraklion
- Language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Political regime: Unitary parliamentary republic
- Country: Greece
2- How is the climate in Crete?
- Thanks to its exceptional geographical location, the island enjoys a hot and dry summer, and a rather mild winter. From March, the first tourists enjoy a beautiful blue sky and warm winds straight from the African continent.
- If you are traveling with a baby who is only a few months old, spring seems to be the ideal season to enjoy the Cretan sun safely, with the thermometer showing nearly 30°C (86°F) in high season.
3 – KIDS-FRIENDLY ACCOMMODATION
- Nestled between the Greek coast and the verdant hills, Euphoria Resort is a Cretan pearl. This prestigious building enjoys breathtaking views overlooking the horizon and promises comfort and happiness to its little guests. In total, there are 287 rooms, 2 pools, 4 restaurants, 2 bars, a luxury spa with hot tub, hammam, and sauna, and everything a child needs: a playground for the youngest, babysitting, kids clubs and teens clubs. From €365/night.
- Families looking for more tranquillity and prestige love to stay at Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas, our favourite spot located in the north-east of the peninsula, on the heights of Agios Nikolaos. The hotel makes no compromises between the comfort of parents and the demands of children with its splendid suites with sea views and private pool, its diving centre at the PADI World Federation, its kid’s club and nursery for children aged from 4 months. From €300/night.
- Design and spacious family suites, entertainment and fun activities, mini clubs from 4 months old to 18 years old, babysitting service, family cinema, extraordinary spa, refined gastronomy… Domes of Elounda ***** stimulate all your senses! The charming family-friendly address meets all the demanding criteria of the luxury hotel business. Young and old alike will be delighted: happiness will flow freely. From €250/night.
The beautiful Balos lagoon near to Chania
4 – The must-sees
- Carved from valleys and hills, the arid lands of the peninsula are home to Mediterranean flora and wildlife. Through the mountainous island, one crosses the road of goats and donkeys which circulate freely between the pine forests and the olive groves. These unexpected encounters are very entertaining for toddlers, especially when families leave Kissamos beach to get back to their car and find that a goat has fallen asleep on the burning roof of the vehicle. Take full advantage of this sociability with the animals that are accustomed to the presence of travelers and are easily approached, perhaps you can share a snack with them…
- If you want to offer an unforgettable experience to your children, Little Guest (luxury hotels collection for families) advise you to take a detour to the self-sufficient and productive organic farm Kamihis. Located south of Heraklion, on the heights of Zaros, this family home is managed by Michalis and Katerina, a nice Cretan couple who shares his passion for agriculture and local crafts. For a few hours, your toddler can enjoy time with the geese, rabbits, and piglets while Mom and Dad enjoy wine and feta puff pastries.
At the Daios Cove, the sun kisses the sea one last time before going down
5 – The most beautiful beaches
- With its shoreline of turquoise and translucent waters, Crete is also a perfect playground for your apprentice Olympic swimmers. Not to be missed: the Balos lagoon, a peaceful and serene place.
- Known as a mythical place, the beautiful beach of Elafonissi spread out amazing pink sand in the western part of the island, in the district of Chania.
Advice: The most beautiful beaches on the island are generally difficult to access. Once near the site, parents are advised to leave the stroller in the car and walk on the trails with a baby carrier.
6 – Plenty of FAMILY ACTIVITIES
The island is full of resorts entirely dedicated to families, the most popular of which is the Star Beach Water aquapark (noted 4,5/5 on Tripadvisor) where every summer, there are fun water activities (jet ski, parasailing, water skiing) while toddlers can be carried by the current of the wild river into the arms of Mom or Dad.
Among the best water parks, there are:
- The Acqua Plus Water Park where the kids adore eating fresh feet fish, jumping on the inflatable castle and beat Dad to a ping-pong game. Itinerary
- The Watercity Park where the kids love playing with the waves of the pool, relaxing in the hot tub and hurtling down the kamikaze slides. Itinerary
- The Aqua Creta Limnoupolis where the kids like to lounge by the buoy pool and the wild river. Itinerary
For theme parks enthusiasts, Little Guest recommends:
- Dinosauria Park, a dinosaur museum where you can find fossil replicas and several animatronic dinosaur models, as well as attractions and a playground. Itinerary
- Labyrinth Theme Park, a family park about Greek mythology. Mini-golf, labyrinth route inspired by the famous mythological tale, everything is there to provide a fin moment. Itinerary
For families in search of intimacy, win the coast of Heraklion and negotiate the rental of a catamaran or a yacht! This could be a perfect opportunity to escape to the sea with your tribe and deepen the technique of snorkeling your elders.
Sarah, 25 years old, journalism and travel addict, from Brussels